Poll - What system are you running?

Louis B.
Administrator
Dan, has just ask what system am I running.

I am running EEEBUNTU (Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid)) on an EEE PC 900A (with no hard disk)  It fit great great on top of my Roland PR101 digital Piano a  which connects up using the EDIROL UM-2EX to a _very_ old Roland SC-7 sound module. The SC-7 is a cut down version of the Roland Sound Canvas but with out the front panel. Despite it's age the SC-7 sounds great with no latency at all with the hardware synth.

What distro + os + equipment are you using?

Louis

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

danboid
Hardware:

1.6Ghz core 2 duo laptop w/ 2GB RAM + Radeon HD 2400 gfx

Textech/ LogiLink USB MIDI cable - total steal at £10!

YAMAHA DJ-X keyboard, the original model

OS's (yes, quad-boot - what else does a man do with 250GB?;) :

Debian Lenny AMD64

Ubuntu Jaunty AMD64

Opensolaris 2008.11 (32bit)

Windows XP Pro 32bit

---------------------

As for getting pb into Ubuntu - I've just filed a bug-report which is the first step towards getting it packaged:

May I suggest a small improvement to the pb BUILD.txt? I think it would be a good idea just to also say something like

"Debian and Ubuntu users can install 'build-essentials' to get all the other packages required to build PB from source"

Alongside the others you already mention - just to make things easier for the total newbs?

My laptop is plenty powerful for my needs but it also gets hot and quite loud (for a laptop) and I must admit I tempted by some of these new Atom netbooks. However, I don't run Windows at home so what I'd really like would be a laptop- full size, 17" screen, DVD drive, USBs, DVI etc but with one of the new ARM CORTEX cpu's so I could just run the arm port of debian and get crazy battery life with all the features of a full size laptop! I'd be intertested in having a ARM/Core 2 duo hybrid laptop so long as the PC bit didn't impact the battery if/when I wasn't using it. I've got a Pandora (openpandora.org) on order so basically something like that or the Beagleboard but in a full-size laptop housing is what I'd like as a home/work based compliment to the Pandora.

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

danboid
...DVI? I did of course mean HDMI, if poss. My current laptop has only DVI instead of HDMI but either is better than none or VGA only of course! This is one of the only areas where the Pandora is lacking for many - the Beagleboard has DVI output whilst Pandora has a svideo :( If Pandora had HDMI instead or as well as svideo out it would've been the supreme handheld!

In answer to your question, as should be evident by the above OS list, I did not wipe Jaunty off my HD. However, I've not yet added it back to the grub menu and I'm wondering if the grub that Debian has installed for me now would be new enough to boot into an ext4 partition? I'll find out later.
CRP

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

CRP
iMac G5 2Ghz (very old...)
No name midi-usb interface bought on ebay for less than 10$
Casio Celviano AP-45 digital piano

Works nice and without any lag/slowdown. Unfortunately I keep the iMac far away from the piano, so moving it over everytime I want to play is annoying.  So I am currently looking for a cheap dedicated netbook solution ;)

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

Anonymous
Debian Lenny

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

Anonymous
Macbook with Leopard, M-audio keystation 61es

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

trevh
Asus eee 701 (7" screen!), no hard disc (occasionally plugged into 'AOC' 22" LCD monitor to make it easier to use PianoBooster.

Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' operating system. (PianoBooster .64 installed via ppa)

Casio WK-8000 (88 keys) piano/synthesiser keyboard (usb midi)

occasionally a Kawai K1-II synth and the extremely cheap (AU$75.00 brand new!) 'Base MK-928' keyboard. Both 61 keys, both 5 part multi timbral, both conventional midi. (The K1-II has midi thru as well)

regards,
Trev

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

txzorculeus
Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) 64bit
Laptop with 1.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, and the Intel GMA965 x3100.
Yamaha DGX-300 with Midisport Uno(sucks) midi to USB.

The laptop sits on the keyboard's music stand which lays flat over the controls(I don't need them most of the time).  This is so I don't accidentally press buttons with the laptop.

PB 0.6.4-1 via PPA

Re: Poll - What system are you running?

vmcb
I just installed Piano Booster on a desktop computer running Debian Squeeze.  Next is an Acer laptop running Windows XP and  Acer Aspire One netbook running Debian Squeeze.  The current stable tarball gave a segmentation fault so I used the svn code.

Veronica