Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Louis B.
Administrator
There is the commercially produced MIDI files that came with midi books (but are now no longer sold with MIDI files) that I have really enjoyed playing. I have put few demos of these on this page:

     http://www.pianobooster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

I also enjoyed playing some of Barry Taylor's music especially "I Saw Three Ships":

     Google for "Taylor's Traditional Tunebook" and download the "English Tunes".

They are only single melody to play with quite good MIDI arrangements. Barry is quite fond of key changes which make it quite challenging.

Please feel free to add to this list.

L o u i s     B a r m a n

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Louis B.
Administrator
There are a couple of hundred of midi files (kar files) on this blog:

    http://journals.rpungin.fotki.com/karaoke/category/midi/

Download the zip file "Raphael'sKarFiles.zip" from this blog

Here are some that I have tried out:

  File "1999.kar", Track 5 "pad 3 (polysythn)", mostly easy cords.

  File "NOTHERD.KAR", Track 5 "Grand Piano", the melody quite easy

  File "ANYTIME.KAR", Track 1 "Electric Piano 1", both hands easier at first but gets challenging!

  File "WONDERFU.KAR", Track 2 "Bright Piano", Both hands easy piano part

  File "PENNYLAN.KAR", Track 2 "Bright Piano", I can only manage just the right hand which is quite easy.

  File "MOONLITE.KAR", track 4 "Flute", Easy melody

L o u i s

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Timothy J. Massey
I only started taking piano lessons about four months ago.  While I have a few other MIDI files, the ones I play are just what you described:  the MIDI files for the book that I'm learning from.  And, yes, I had to pay extra for the MIDI files...  :)
CRP

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

CRP
I would suggest using midifiles from the mutopia project (http://www.mutopiaproject.org/)
This sites is a repository of sheet music typed with lilypond, and for each sheet the corresponding midi file is available. These midifiles are created from the same source which creates the sheet, so the two are identical and generally very cleanly written. I found many Bach files to be ideal for learning purposes.

Chris
CRP

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

CRP
I have recently tried to play a few Jazz standards that I found around the net. Most of the files I found would not work well with PianoBooster, having channel setups quite different from the standard expected by pianobooster (3+4 on grand piano). Of the few files I have found that have the right channels, I found out  that the "right hand" is almost invariably impossible to play with lots of five fingered chords. Has anyone else experienced the same, or have any suggestions of "playable" jazz standard midi files?

Thanks
Chris

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Louis B.
Administrator
If there are any midi files that you would like to work with pb then please post a link to the files here so I can look at how to improve pb to work with this files. changing pb to use different channels should be relatively easy (however few midi files have the left right hand split). Another easy change is to allow pb to accept a chord even if you have not played every note in the cord. So for example you could allow a chord to be accepted by just playing a single note in the cord. You can also currently limit the notes you need to play by limiting the range of the keyboard using the Setup/keyboard settings although this could be improved.

Currently bp does not split the music up by "Standard midi file track numbers" but only by "midi patch channel numbers". This needs to be fixed in future versions of PB.

Unfortunately many midi files on the net are produced by  advanced musicians who like to show off their playing ability and are not suitable for less skilled musicians to play. The only thing I can think of here (other than the suggestions above) is to edit the midi file using a sequencer and delete the all the difficult notes.

Please remember to post a link to any problem midi files here with suggestions on how PB could made playing these files easier.

Thanks

Louis

CRP

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

CRP
Take a look at this link:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/make-table.cgi?collection=bachgb&preview=1
ALmost all files listed here have separate channels for left and right hand. Unfortunately, not all use grand piano as instrument, and channels are not usually 3+4.

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Louis B.
Administrator
I have just found this midi search site which is very good.

Search through over 1 million MIDI files using Inter-Search - MIDI Search

Louis

Re: Pieces of music that I have enjoyed playing - please add to this list

Shelly
I love some of these http://pianostudies.angelfire.com/