Light keyboard - for beta testers.

robert1968
Hi Everyone.

Louis has started supporting an excellent feature in the latest Piano Booster release.
It called Light keys or Guide lamp.

Light keys feature is exists in: Yamaha EZ-200, Casio LK 220, LK-300 TV, LK-43 etc.
(Lamps -LED- are bellow the keys and lighting to show what key(s) should be pressed on keyboard.)

The feature is in the beta phase in Piano Buster, but at least started. Thank you very much Louis. :)

It has 2 known problems yet. Read development forum for more. http://piano-booster.2625608.n2.nabble.com/Light-keyboard-support-in-the-latest-Piano-Booster-release-tp5960207p5960207.html

I attached the latest binary for beta tester pianobooster
Start it  with
./pianobooster --lights

I hope I won't hurt any policy with attached this binary. :) It is made on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

Dear Louis!  it is great initiation, thank you very much.

Later can you put the output channel as a parameter?
Some of the Casio keyboards using midi channel 3 Yamaha keyboard using channel 1.

Thank you Louis again!

Best Regards,
Robert

Piano Booster Light keyboard support windows version.

robert1968
Hi,

I've compiled Piano Booster with the new Light keyboard support on Windows XP.
pb.7z.001
pb.7z.002

You should download and unzip with 7zip (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920.exe)

You will get 7 files. Start pianobooster with the lights option.
Navigate to pianobooster directory in a CMD window and start it like this:

pianobooster.exe --lights

Cheers,
Robert

Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
Hi,

Until Louis will made a final solution for 'remaining lights when interrupt a song' problem.
(The problem is: When you interrupt your song in "Follow you" or in 'Play along' mode the last lights will remain lighted, and after you start a new song they will be remaining lights until a Note off will come to that note.)

I made a dirty workaround.
The solution is simple just play the midireset2.mid MIDI file with a MIDI player. This will send a midi reset and all the lamps will turned off.
midireset2.mid

I use a shell script mr2.sh to play that midi reset file.
#! /bin/sh
pmidi -p 16:0 /usr/local/bin/midireset2.mid
mr2

This shell script has a big button on my desktop and always visible when play with PB. :)

Cheers, Robert

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
Hi,

Lighted keyboard support is perfect now.
(Since latest patch made by Louis (for 11 month ago!)
Sorry Louis to ignore midi reset patch!!! - And many thanks for it :)))  )

Latest compiled Piano booster is here: PianoBooster - Version 0.6.5.svn.3
It is compiled under Ubuntu 10.04 but I assume all linux variant can work with it.

To use guide lamps start Piano booster with "--lights" option.

#pianobooster --lights

Regards,
Robert

Tags: light led lamp guide led teaching lamp waiting lighted keys

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for your contribution to adding this very useful functionality to Piano Booster!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how to use it - typing "pianobooster --lights" (or /-lights or -lights etc) doesn't start the software for me (I have the latest version), and the Ubuntu version that you compiled doesn't work on my OS (Windows XP). Would you by any chance be able to advice what I should do to use PianoBooster with the lit-keys functionality?

Many thanks in advance!
Tudor

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
This post was updated on .
Hi Tudor,

First of all - ALL deserve LOUIS due - This Genius designed the algorithm, and made the program.
Thanks Louis again :)

I compiled latest linux version pianobooster Version 0.6.6.svn.31-7-12 on Ubuntu 12.04
See announcement (and binary) here:
new-version-0-6-6-test-for-linux
(The thread  is here.)

It is only the latest Linux version!

But I assume you need a windows version !  :)
I made a windows version earlier, see here:
Piano Booster Lighted version for Windows
(The thread  is here. )

This version not the latest, but at least should work for windows machines.

Is that help for you?

Robert

Louis don't you want to put this two latest version to Piano Booster homepage - in Download section?

Regards,
Robert

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
Thanks RObert, that's very helpful! The two 7z archives on that thread's page did not work for me (received an error when trying to decompress them - are you sure these are meant to work on Windows?). It would be great to have an official Windows download for the final lights version!

And thanks very much Louis for making this possible :)

Tudor

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
What error messages?
I tried just now - just for you :) and there were no problem at all, PB is running on Win XP sp3.
(I usually using Linux at home.)

Select this two files , right click - 7zip - extract here.  This will make a PB directory and there will be the 7 files.

Is that happened to you?

Robert

Hmm, I'll try again when I'm home.
Koszonom szepen Robert ;)

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
Waiting for results...

Mother tongue or google translate?   Nagyon szivesen :)

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
robert1968 wrote
Waiting for results...
So I downloaded the 2 archives again, but for both of them, 7z tells me that it encounters an error while trying to open them. Why are there 2 files anyway in the archive? Would you be able to archive the windows version in a single file, using a more standard format, perhaps ZIP? Also, is that the final version (after the bugs have been corrected), or one of the earlier ones?

Thanks again, I really very much appreciate it!

robert1968 wrote
Neither nor, just have friends in Transylvania :)

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
Hi

I re zip-ed it and upload to here:
 Piano Booster Light keyboard winXp

It was splited because this mailing list limit the attachable file size.  Right?
7Zip is a standard almost as popular as zip. and additional it is GPL. :)

I didnt compiled newer windows version because I dont use win for fun... :)

Robert

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
This post was updated on .
Amazing, thank you so much Robert, I can see that the program now opens with the --lights option, and when I get home I will test to see if it really does what the keyboard should do on its own (i.e. use the key lights to guide you through learning an external MIDI piece). Hopefully this early version will work without major bugs - will let you know.

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
I tried it out, and unfortunately PB doesn't behave as I expected it to. The keys light up in Listen mode, but in Follow You mode, they don't. I tried with several MIDIs, with no luck. Shouldn't the Follow You mode be the same as the keyboard's built-in 3-step Lesson, i.e. the keys that should be played next for the selected part (LH or RH) light up?

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
Hi Robert and Louis, any thoughts at all about the lack of keyboard lights in Following mode, that I described above? Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I tried pianobooster Version 0.6.6.svn.31-7-12 -Linux and lights works in
-Follow you mode and
-Play Along mode
too.Pianobooster with lights

You should use Linux version :) or compile windows version from source.
(Maybe I will try to compile windows on win7 but not sure will be success because Im not experienced on windows...)

wildetudor
Any pointers on how I can compile a Windows executable out of the working Linux version that you are using? I haven't done anything like this before

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
Hi,

sourceforge- wiki -pianobooster Building_from_Source

A I remember I compiled it on winXP -1 year ago and was not impossible mission... :)

Unfortunaty I changed my second boot option - a win xp to w7 and lost QT development environment...

Have you succed to compile win version?

Robert.

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

wildetudor
Thanks Robert - I'm afraid I wasn't successful with this though: the QT isntallation package did not have a MinGW component, as indicated in the tutorial you pointed to, and also when starting QT after installation, there was no command prompt from where to type the cmake command.

Too bad there isn't an easier way to use it on Win, as it looks like this version really does the job with the lighted keys..

Re: Piano Booster Light keyboard - reset workaround

robert1968
  hi  Tudor

mingw is a different package as I remember... not part of qt.

 barely belie've  no one else read your hi interest in this forum.  is there any Windows expert out there?
I  see you starving to get light supported keyboard guide on Windows.

 send the links please where to download qt  for Windows ?
I  will  boot Windows #&!* :)  and try  to compile...

 Robert

12