Help.Still no sound

Bill B
Help, Still no sound.
Fluid synth doesn't appear as an option in the midi output options.
My computer tells me the latest edition of fluidsynth is installed but when I start to use it the following dialogue appears.
bill@bill-netbook:~$ fluidsynth -C0 -R0 -r22050 -l -o midi.alsa_seq.id=fs /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2
FluidSynth version 1.1.2
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
exec of JACK server (command = "/usr/bin/jackd") failed: No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
fluidsynth: error: Failed to connect to Jack server.
Failed to create the audio driver
bill@bill-netbook:~$ sudo apt-get install fluidsynth
[sudo] password for bill:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
fluidsynth is already the newest version.
bill@bill-netbook:~$

Re: Help.Still no sound

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi Bill,

Sorry I have got computer problems which I still have not yet sorted out, so sorry for the slow reply.

The command on the FAQ page (see  http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pianobooster/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions -- How do I hear the sound on Linux (Ubuntu)?). This works for me on Ubuntu 9.10.

If you get the message

     fluidsynth: error: The "plughw:0" audio device is used by another application
     Failed to create the audio driver
Then you must exit all apps that could be using the sound eg the browsers etc.

I have not tried running with jack as that seems an extra complication.

I will try posting to for help on this to the fluiddev mailing list.

Louis

Re: Help.Still no sound

jesselks
Hi Bill,

Have you seen this page:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pianobooster/index.php?title=Ubuntu_Live_USB#Software_MIDI_Synthesizer:_Output_through_your_Computer_Speakers

It is a work-in-progress that covers some commands variations to get fluidsynth running in Ubuntu 10.10 (and 10.04).

For now, I have been ignoring this "pin to RAM" message without issues:
  "fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible."

In an earlier post you mentioned an error with "synth(fs):0 is not there". If you still see that error, could you post (like you did above) the full message and the command line that led to the error?

If your still open to trying Fluidsynth, how about some of the variations from the wiki. Perhaps adding to your previous command:
 "-c 6 -z 128 -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0"
or "-c 6 -z 128 -l -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=hw:0"
or even "-c 2 -z 128 -a alsa"

I'm not familiar with all the options, but I think these call the ALSA sound subsystem instead of JACK.

I've not yet tried Timidity, which seems to be the other leading synth for Ubuntu. Can I ask what command you used to get it running successfully?

Also, I noticed your machine's name has "-netbook", what kind of hardware is it?

Jesse

Re: Help.Still no sound

Bill B
On 27/10/2010 05:15, jesselks [via Piano Booster] wrote:
[...]

No virus found in this message.

------=_Part_11499_26548590.1288152942588--
Hello Jesse,
                     When I said there was an error with synth(fs):0 not being there, I didn't mean there was an error message, I meant it wasn,t there as an option in the menu when you click on the midi setup page.
                      I didn't have any command to get it running I just selected each of the options in turn and found that with timidity 0 and 1, I could hear the sound and PB followed.
                     Don't think it's a prob with the hardware as I,ve had it running on the machine before, I only called it netbook to differentiate it from my other laptop.
Cheers
BillB

Re: Help.Still no sound

jesselks
I think I understand. For me, fluidsynth isn't available as an output option in PB until after I start it from a command line. Perhaps your timidity install has it automatically starting upon boot up.

I was curious about the hardware so I can get an idea of what fluidsynth settings work on various types of machines. Especially settings that avoid audio problems like latency.

Sounds like you have audio output, and that's good. If you do decide to try fluidsynth again, feel free to post any details on what does or doesn't work.

Jesse