reloading pianobooster after upgrade to Ub 10.10

reloading pianobooster after upgrade to Ub 10.10

Bill
Due to a corrupt upgrade I had to do a clean install of Ubuntu 10.10.and lost pianobooster which happily ran on 10.04 and I have forgotten how I got it going before.I am a complete newby.Have downloaded pianobooster src 0.6.4 onto my desktop but cannot get any further as instructions on various forums assumes prior knowledge. "Type in the pianobooster directory" for instance, wheres that ?
I typed cmake into the terminal and that went ok but then typed "make" and all I got was "no targets specified and no makefile found.stop"
Some really easy step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. Am trying really hard to like Linux but it's not easy.

Re: reloading pianobooster after upgrade to Ub 10.10

Louis B.
Administrator
The terminal can be found at Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal.

Then type the following commands:
  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:racb/extra
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install pianobooster

That will build load a pre-built pianobooster binary.

To build from source is a lot more involved

You need to first how to run these commands from terminal.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#File%20&%20Directory%20Commands

Please let us know how you get on

L.

Re: reloading pianobooster after upgrade to Ub 10.10

Bill
Hello Louis B.
Many, many thanks. Easy when you know how as they say. Do you know of any web site where there is a list of common sudo commands pls. ?
Anyway back to pianobooster. Your commands worked and I have now got the prog installed, downloaded some music and the cursor tracks along nicely but there is no sound. I am only using the computer keyboard at the moment, will try my midi keyboard later.
Once again, many thanks, wish you could solve my email probs as easy.
Cheers
Bill

Re: reloading pianobooster after upgrade to Ub 10.10

Bill
Hello LouisB again.
                          Further to my last reply, I have since downloaded fluidsynth. However on going through your steps in midi setup/output, FLUID synth(fs):0 is not there. On try to reload fluidsynth again I got the message "failed to pin the sample data to RAM.swapping is possible". On typing "help" I didn't understand any of the replies.
Cheers
Bill