mac os 10.8

lacek
Dear All,
As of mac os 10.8, the Rosetta is no longer supported (licencing ofthis technology expired, and Apple had to remove it). This means that Piano Booster, which apparently is a Power PC program does not start. Would it be possible to recompile and repost the installer in a pc version?

In particular, conrary to what the page says, the macos binary is not "Universal" it it "PowerPC".

Regards,
Mateusz Łącki

Re: mac os 10.8

normanj
I can confirm Piano Booster does not run under mac OS X 10.8 - I've just downloaded it but it would not run. This is a shame as it looks like a great app - precisely what I was looking for :-(

Re: mac os 10.8

gitrhero
Piano Booster can be run on OSX 10.8.5, but you can't run the precompiled .app that's currently up. If you download the source code and compile yourself then it should run.

Re: mac os 10.8

gamby
Will Piano Booster run in OSX 10.13 (High Sierra) with this fix? Can you post your compilation?

Re: mac os 10.8

chrisballinger
I compiled a new version but haven't tested it yet, other than to verify that it launches.

https://github.com/chrisballinger/PianoBooster/releases/tag/v0.6.5-alpha1

Re: mac os 10.8

gamby
Hello Chris,

I'm glad someone is back on this project. Unfortunately, your compilation didn't work on my systems:

My old iMac 2010 with MacOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) says it's for MacOS 10.13.

My Mac Mini (late 2014) with the "current" MacOS 10.13.3 (High Sierra) says the file is corrupt.

I hope it's only a quick fix.

Re: mac os 10.8

chrisballinger
I found this other project called Synthesia which seems a lot better maintained http://www.synthesiagame.com

Probably won't put any more time into restoring PianoBooster. I also couldn't find any contact information for the original author so I doubt my Qt4->Qt5 fixes would ever get merged.

Re: mac os 10.8

gamby
The author lives in England. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck contacting him as well.

Have you tested your version? Maybe I made a mistake or have the wrong system.

Synthesia is something very different and isn't open source.

Re: mac os 10.8

jusmea
Hello gamby

I tried this and it worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF1c_7lnGo

Thanks Chris.

Re: mac os 10.8

gamby
PIANOBOOSTER RUNS ON MacOS!!!!!! sort of...

Here are some instructions.
- Download "chrisballinger" file through the link
- put it in the applications folder
- open Terminal
- type each line after each other:
sudo bash
(your password)
xattr -cr /Applications/pianobooster.app

- close Terminal and open Pianobooster

I'm not sure if it's my MacMini late 2014 running MacOS 10.14.1, but it's not finding my sound driver. It found my MIDI keyboard, so I guess it'd produce sound with a proper keyboard. Secondly, the play and stop button aren't showing and are not responding properly.

Thanks Chris for your work

Re: mac os 10.8

romul
Will you merge your modifications with https://github.com/captnfab/PianoBooster ?