Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi jess,

You should be able to edit the sf wiki page now after looking at this post:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/3646

But it looks like everyone has to register on sf and then be granted edit rights before they can post.

I am keen now to set up a wiki that anyone can edit. (As long as we are notified of all changes in case the wiki site gets spammed).

I would like to have equal admin rights with you if you set something else up.

I am not so sure about Wikia though it looks a bit too much advertising but then again it is free.

Louis

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Jesse   wrote:

How about Wikia: http://www.wikia.com/About_Us

http://pianobooster.wikia.com/wiki/Main_page seems a little better than
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pianobooster/index.php?title=Main_Page

Jesse

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

jesselks
Can you link to a page with ads? I also want to avoid festooning the poor wiki with ads. So far, I've not seen ads on wikia, but I've only used this subsite: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I had hoped for a wiki that would allow edits with nothing more than an openID, but it looks like wikia  requires creating a local accounts on their site. Sourceforge allows logging in via OpenID, but requires that the ID is attached to a local account.

Both use MediaWiki, so I'm looking for a way to turn on public editing on Sourceforge. If that works, the only advantage of wikia would be slightly shorter URLs.

It looks like the normal way of changing the default group rights is by changing a text file on the server. This page (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/LocalSettings.php) notes that some wiki farms (aka sourceforge) may have site wide policies against anonymous edits and thus not allow/offer changes to the "localSettings.php" file. We would want to edit these two settings (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights):
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit']              = false;  # no edit for anon or not-logged-in
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit']           = true;  # allow edits without being manually added to editors group

Louis - do you feel like asking the powers that be at SF for control over that file or getting access to the "Special:Configure" UI? It looks like that page, provided by "extension:Configure", is visible to users in group "configure." http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Configure

If that doesn't work, the Wikia intro page suggests that subsites there are open by default.

Jesse

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi I had already tried a bug report to sourceforge that got rejected see:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/10892

But I have not put a request for an enhancements as suggested.

I think I am leaning towards the source forge wiki as I think it is better to have everything in one place.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pianobooster/index.php?

you should have admin and edit rights now.

Louis

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

jesselks
Sourceforge wiki it is.

Wikia ads are a bit much. Realized last week that my firefox adblocker was stripping them out. With it turned off, the ads showed up at the top, sides, and bottom.

Is there a development timeline worth posting to the wiki Dev Guide page? Or perhaps a feature suggestion section?

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

vmcb
I'd like to help edit the Wiki but how do I get permission?

The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: editor, admin."

Veronica

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi

Thanks for all your posts,

I am off on holiday today for one week so I won't be able to reply until I get back,

I have added you to the wiki so you should be able to edit these pages. It would very helpful if you could edit this pages.

Unfortunately source forge don't allow anybody to edit the wiki to prevent spam filling abandoned projects. But I have added you as and editor.

Louis

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

kotech
Hi Louis,

Can you please add me as an editor to the wiki. sfuser: kotechnology

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Setting up a Wiki everyone can edit

romul