Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi,

Did you want to make this public available on  www.getdeb.net (sorry
but I am not volunteering but it would be great if you could after
perhaps agreeing the best package to use with racb) The normal way is
to compile form the source code rather than starting with my binary
build though.

I have posted this to the dev forum/mailing list and hopefully that
racb will join in this discussion. Sorry I have not updated the
website yet to point to the Ubunto build yet.

Louis

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Pablo Bianchi<xxxx@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> Thank you for your answer. I'd download the .deb from
> https://launchpad.net/~racb/+archive/extra
> but it seems that version need more than my Kubuntu 8.04 (LTS) could give:
>
> sudo dpkg -i pianobooster_0.6.2b~basak2_i386.deb
> (Reading database ... 189607 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace pianobooster 0.6.2b~basak2 (using
> pianobooster_0.6.2b~basak2_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement pianobooster ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pianobooster:
>  pianobooster depends on libasound2 (>> 1.0.17); however:
>   Version of libasound2 on system is 1.0.16-2ubuntu2~ppa1.
>  pianobooster depends on libqt4-opengl (>= 4.4.3); however:
>   Package libqt4-opengl is not installed.
>  pianobooster depends on libqtcore4 (>= 4.4.3); however:
>   Package libqtcore4 is not installed.
>  pianobooster depends on libqtgui4 (>= 4.4.3); however:
>   Package libqtgui4 is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing pianobooster (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  pianobooster
>
> I have Qt: 3.3.8b, KDE: 3.5.10.
>
> Couriosly, the deb I created from tgz (sudo alien -d
> pianobooster-linux-0.6.2.tgz) work fine.
>
> --
> Pablo
>

> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Louis B. <xxxx@xxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay replying, but I have been away on holiday,
>>
>> For the ubuntu package please see this link.
>>
>> http://n2.nabble.com/Ubuntu-package-td3040661.html#a3040661
>>
>> I am intending to take pianobooster-linux-0.6.2.tgz from the website
>> and replace it with the link to the this Ubuntu package eventually.
>>
>> You can always compile from source which is probably the easiest option.
>>
>> (although there is no make install yet)
>>
>> Louis
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Pablo Bianchi<xxxx@xxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > I create the .deb from the tgz with alien (sudo alien -d
>> > pianobooster-linux-0.6.2.tgz) but with this method the instalation is
>> > very
>> > uncomplete and untidy (for eg., creating directories in root folder and
>> > not
>> > adding shortcuts).

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

racb
The package I prepared was built against 8.10 so won't work with 8.04 by itself. I can sort this out by understanding what the build dependencies are for 8.04. I'll look into it!

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

racb
Louis: I presume that pianobooster should be able to build against QT3?

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi Racb,

I have finally put a link to your page on the PB download page. Please check and let me know if you want to make any changes to that page. I would like to eventually take off the Linux binary from this page.

No, pb will not work with QT3. QT4 is very different from QT3.

Your package works fine on my Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) (the same one I compiled the binary on). The easiest way to get a package to for 8.04 is to build on 8.04.

I want to get make install to work which hopefully will make your life easer next time. I may get you to check that make install works ok for you when I am ready.

Louis

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

racb
For some reason I thought that 8.04 only had QT3 but it has QT4 too, so doing a package for 8.04 wasn't a problem. It's now uploaded to Launchpad - users just need to pick the correct release. I've can't easily test the 8.04 package though - all I know is that it builds.

I should do one for Jaunty as well at some point.

For make install - don't worry about it. I'm only installing three files anyway - the pianobooster binary, a desktop file for the Application menu and a pixmap for the desktop file. Unless this changes it's zero effort for me as it's in the build script and I don't need to touch it.

If I were to switch to calling make install instead of copying the files manually, then the only thing that needs to work is the ability to override the destination root for the package build - autoconf uses "make DESTDIR=... install" for this; I don't know if cmake does the same or has an equivalent.

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
Administrator
*** Reply to Pablo Bianchi email ***

Hi Pablo,

the racb site has now been updated with a hardy Ubuntu package. I have
now updated PB download page to link to racb site.

Hopefully this now works ok for you.

Louis

Pablo Bianchi wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> I'm not sure what you are talking about making public, but anyway.. sure! :)
> I was not satisfied with neither the deb file I'd create from your
> tar, nor the one I download from racb site. The first one do some
> nasty things like creating folders on root one, and it doesn't create
> shortcuts. The one of racb I couldn't install it because strange
> dependencies requirements.
> When a human out there create a good package for Piano Booster (if you
> remember when this becomes real pleas let me know!) surely I agree to
> make it public available on getdeb!

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Pablo AB
Hi all!

I have installed the new hardy package perfectly well on my Kubuntu Hardy! With no strange folders on / and the correct icon on Games section!
The problem now is that I can't hear anything. I've tried with all the different options with no good results. I'm sure is a problem of my sound setup, I had problems trying to solve other problems, around pulseaudio...
Strangely, playing a midi file works fine, with Timidity. I have installed fluidsynth:
sudo apt-get install fluidsynth fluid-soundfont-gs fluid-soundfont-gm
But I'm not sure how to use it with PB.

I will try remember a very popular in mac-pianist users, similar to PB... to take some ideas :)
Pablo

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
Administrator
Hi Pablo,

Sorry, I some how missed your email as I was just switching over to use used a different email account. Especially after I nagged you to post via the dev forum. Sorry again.

I have put instructions on how to use fluidsynth on the PianoBooster FAQ page.

I hope that helps.

Again with fuildsynth you can get it play a midi file directly just add the midi filename to the end of the command line. Does that work?

L.

Pablo AB (via Nabble) wrote:
Hi all!

I have installed the new hardy package perfectly well on my Kubuntu Hardy! With no strange folders on / and the correct icon on Games section!
The problem now is that I can't hear anything. I've tried with all the different options with no good results. I'm sure is a problem of my sound setup, I had problems trying to solve other problems, around pulseaudio...
Strangely, playing a midi file works fine, with Timidity. I have installed fluidsynth:
sudo apt-get install fluidsynth fluid-soundfont-gs fluid-soundfont-gm
But I'm not sure how to use it with PB.

I will try remember a very popular in mac-pianist users, similar to PB... to take some ideas :)
--
Pablo

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Re%3A-Deb-package-for-Piano-Booster-tp3419867p3441268.html
To start a new topic under Piano Booster Development, email [hidden email]

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Pablo AB
Hi Louis,
I have tried but....
$ fluidsynth -l -o midi.alsa_seq.id=fs -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: error: The "plughw:0" audio device is used by another application
Failed to create the audio driver
I have also tried with hw:0, and the flags for slow machines (even I have an AMD 4200+, over Kubuntu 8.04). Same results. Sounds seems to work fine, amarok, flash, midi with timidity...

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
Administrator
try plughw:1

or close down all other app that may using that audio device eg firefox and the thunderbird

try omitting  -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0 altogether

Try closing all apps as Louis suggests but also do "killall pulseaudio" and "killall esd". I think the latter should do it. I think 8.04 had esd rather than pulseaudio.

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

racb
Also try "sudo apt-get install pmidi" and then "pmidi -l"

I get:

 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
128:0     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 0
128:1     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 1
128:2     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 2
128:3     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 3

Then try playing a midi file with pmidi:

pmidi -p 128:0 foo.mid

(the 128:0 is taken from the listed timidity port from the -l command)

pmidi should work with fluidsynth as well once bound to an ALSA port.

If you can get pmidi to work first, then you'll know the port that pianobooster needs to use.

PB to be under education rather than games

Louis B.
Administrator
racb,

While you r there racb I think I would prefer PB to be under education
rather than games, I think that is what fedora is using. Don't worry
about it now but for the next release I will contact you then. Also I
would like PB to be associated with .mid files. Do you know how to do
it? It won't work now as pianobooster midifile.mid does not work at present.

L.

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Pablo AB
Excellent!
Disabling Shockwave Flash on Firefox fluidsynth works (with some warnings):
$ fluidsynth -C0 -R0 -r22050 -l -o midi.alsa_seq.id=fs -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: ALSA driver: Using format s16, rw, interleaved
> fluidsynth: warning: ALSA sequencer buffer overrun, lost events
fluidsynth: warning: ALSA sequencer buffer overrun, lost events
and now I have another port:
$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
 20:0     Ensoniq AudioPCI                  ES1371
128:0     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 0
128:1     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 1
128:2     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 2
128:3     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 3
129:0     FLUID Synth (fs)                  Synth input port (fs:0)
I don't know how Timidity player can work since I tried all the options and no other than 129:0 works.
But all this is too good. I can play midis with pmidi through 129:0 (FLUIDSynth (fs)), but this extra midi output is not listed on PB options. I tried apt-get remove --purge pianobooster and dpkg -i again but the problem persist...

Re: PB to be under education rather than games

racb
No problem. Although I don't have an Education menu. Does one exist or is it just because I don't have any Education software installed?

For the file association it looks like I just need to drop a keys file into /usr/share/mime-info and an applications file into /usr/share/application-registry.

Try restarting timidity: "sudo /etc/init.d/timidity restart".

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Louis B.
But if you have an old slow machine you want to use your hardware synth
Ensoniq AudioPCI but you must load a sound font into it. to get it
working see my post about Windows latecny problems I recommend people
get and old sound card which you have already.

L.

Pablo AB (via Nabble) wrote:

> Excellent!
> Disabling Shockwave Flash on Firefox fluidsynth works (with some
> warnings):
> $ fluidsynth -C0 -R0 -r22050 -l -o midi.alsa_seq.id=fs -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device=plughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2
> fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
> fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
> fluidsynth: ALSA driver: Using format s16, rw, interleaved
> > fluidsynth: warning: ALSA sequencer buffer overrun, lost events
> fluidsynth: warning: ALSA sequencer buffer overrun, lost events
>
> and now I have another port:
> $ pmidi -l
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>  20:0     Ensoniq AudioPCI                  ES1371
> 128:0     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 0
> 128:1     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 1
> 128:2     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 2
> 128:3     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 3
> 129:0     FLUID Synth (fs)                  Synth input port (fs:0)
>
> I don't know how Timidity player can work since I tried all the
> options and no other than 129:0 works.
> But all this is too good. I can play midis with pmidi through 129:0
> (FLUIDSynth (fs)), but this extra midi output is not listed on PB
> options. I tried apt-get remove --purge pianobooster and dpkg -i again
> but the problem persist...

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

Pablo AB
Restarting Timidity it seems doesn't change anything :(
Louis B. wrote
But if you have an old slow machine you want to use your hardware synth Ensoniq AudioPCI but you must load a sound font into it. to get it working see my post about Windows latecny problems I recommend people get and old sound card which you have already.
Well, some weeks ago I add an old (~2001) SoundBlaster 4.1Digital (==Ensoniq AudioPCI !?) to have the possibility to use my MIDI keyboard (I already made the MIDI interface), so I have two soundcards:
$ lspci|grep -i audio
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
03:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)
My computer is not very old, is a AMD 4200+ with 2GB RAM...
I will read your post about latency problems (although I have Linux). With PB I tried all the options with no good results (all the options are all the one listed by pmidi -l less FLUID Synth (fs)). Why is not the same list?

Pablo AB (via Nabble) wrote:

> Restarting Timidity it seems doesn't change anything :(
>
>     Louis B. wrote:
>     But if you have an old slow machine you want to use your hardware
>     synth Ensoniq AudioPCI but you must load a sound font into it. to
>     get it working see my post about Windows latecny problems I
>     recommend people get and old sound card which you have already.
>
> Well, some weeks ago I add an old (~2001) SoundBlaster 4.1Digital
> (==Ensoniq AudioPCI !?) to have the possibility to use my MIDI
> keyboard (I already made the MIDI interface), so I have two soundcards:
> $ lspci|grep -i audio
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
> 03:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)
>
> My computer is not very old, is a AMD 4200+ with 2GB RAM...
> I will read your post about latency problems (although I have Linux).
> With PB I tried all the options with no good results (all the options
> are all the one listed by pmidi -l less FLUID Synth (fs)). Why is not
> the same list?

It is not the audio sound card that matters only the hardware midi synth
card. Hardware synth is always best. You have to load a sound font using
the linux command line (that all my post says about it)

L.

Re: Deb package for Piano Booster

romul