Qt sdk version for Windows?

ec0000
Hi

What is the "official" Qt SDK we should be using for PB development?

I am using Qt SDK 2010.03 and sometimes it crashes new SVN codes from Sourceforge.

And what is the correct search path order?

I have the following path.

    c:\Qt\2010.03\qt\bin;c:\Qt\2010.03\bin;c:\Qt\2010.03\mingw\bin;c:\Qt\2010.03\qt\qmake

Cheers
ec0000

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Mark Morgan Lloyd
I'm not sure about the SDK but if you build using the 4.5.3 framework you should end up with a .exe that is a drop-in replacement for the one with the binary 0.6.4b release. I don't think that the MinGW version is critical which is fortunate since there doesn't appear to be a comprehensive archive of older versions.

I don't think that the path order is critical. I've got Qt, MinGW and cmake on it, I don't have any other instances of any of those or related tools on the development system. I note that Qt prompts for the location of MinGW during installation, I think this is a red herring and does not imply that it's setting an internal path.

I've also got problems with the latest SVN on Windows, it Watsons and I've made no attempt to follow up the error but if I have time I'll try to find what revision introduced the problem. Quite frankly modern C++ etc. is alien to me, I either use Delphi/Lazarus or assembler with a logic analyzer :-)

-- MarkMLl

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Louis B.
Administrator
It should work with ALL versions of Qt from the very old version 4.3.x. (The getFilePositionEx was added accidentally to the source code and has been removed now -- you can just comment out getFilePositionEx). The path order should not matter or the version of mingw .

It is working OK for me on windows i have just checked.

However it would be very helpful if find out  more info the crashing problem.

what version of svn introduces the crashing problem?

Is the crashing repeatable -- ie can you make it always happen?

Is the crashing dependent on the MIDI file being played? if so what midi file makes it crash.

try the debug build

"cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug"

and then using the following to get a back trace

1) Use 'drmingw'.

2) Run your program under gdb.

L.

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Mark Morgan Lloyd
Louis B. wrote
It should work with ALL versions of Qt from the very old version 4.3.x. (The getFilePositionEx was added accidentally to the source code and has been removed now -- you can just comment out getFilePositionEx). The path order should not matter or the version of mingw .
I think that Qt's using that function as well. I fixed it by changing the Qt framework version, not the PianoBooster revision.

Louis B. wrote
However it would be very helpful if find out  more info the crashing problem.

what version of svn introduces the crashing problem?

Is the crashing repeatable -- ie can you make it always happen?

Is the crashing dependent on the MIDI file being played? if so what midi file makes it crash.
Spent yesterday evening on it. r94 appears OK, r138 (later r139) Watsoned on load (i.e. before the window was displayed). I tried to zero in on it and got to around r134 but then all versions started running.

I'm not sure that I can usefully run gdb etc. since the development and runs are on different machines. Can you do another valgrind run?

-- MarkMLl

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Louis B.
Administrator
<q> I tried to zero in on it and got to around r134 but then all
versions started running. </q>

O dear does this mean that the crashing is not always repeatable? ie
some times the same version crashes and some times it runs OK?

I am checking the current version with valgrind but not found any thing so far.

louis

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd [via Piano Booster]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Louis B. wrote:
> It should work with ALL versions of Qt from the very old version 4.3.x. (The
> getFilePositionEx was added accidentally to the source code and has been
> removed now -- you can just comment out getFilePositionEx). The path order
> should not matter or the version of mingw .
>
> I think that Qt's using that function as well. I fixed it by changing the Qt
> framework version, not the PianoBooster revision.
>
> Louis B. wrote:
> However it would be very helpful if find out  more info the crashing
> problem.
>
> what version of svn introduces the crashing problem?
>
> Is the crashing repeatable -- ie can you make it always happen?
>
> Is the crashing dependent on the MIDI file being played? if so what midi
> file makes it crash.
>
> Spent yesterday evening on it. r94 appears OK, r138 (later r139) Watsoned on
> load (i.e. before the window was displayed). I tried to zero in on it and
> got to around r134 but then all versions started running.
>
> I'm not sure that I can usefully run gdb etc. since the development and runs
> are on different machines. Can you do another valgrind run?
>
> -- MarkMLl

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

ec0000
The one that works for me is 0.6.4b source release i.e. as a zip.

The one that does not work and crashes on starting is extracted from svn.

I tried to track this down by doing WinMerge on the 2 source directories. The differences (related to note duration) look pretty innocent to me.

Perhaps, there is a resource/lib that is included in the source release?

-- ec0000

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

ec0000
This post was updated on .
I imported Pianobooster project into Eclipse for C++ as I am more used to Eclipse IDE.

(Eclipse for C++ from eclipse.org, Qt for Eclipse Integration from Nokia, Qt 2010.03 from Nokia with MinGW)

Test 1

Compiled with debug but running outside GDB...

locale = en_AU
Trace: resourceDir1 C:/pianobooster/PBSVN/trunk/PianoBooster/src/debug/../music/
Trace: resourceDir2 C:/pianobooster/PBSVN/trunk/PianoBooster/src/debug/../../music/
Info: applicationDirPath=C:/pianobooster/PBSVN/trunk/PianoBooster/src/debug
Trace: resourceDir3 C:/pianobooster/PBSVN/trunk/PianoBooster/src/debug/../../music/
Trace: xx C:/pianobooster/PBSVN/trunk/PianoBooster/src/debug/../../music/BoosterMusicBooks.zip
Info: Tracks 5 PPQN 192
Info: Opening song \\server1\users\2104Link5\user1\My Music\BoosterMusicBooks1\Booster Music\01-ClairDeLaLune.mid
Info: Tracks 5 PPQN 192
Info: Active both
Info: Using Pianist Channels 1 + 2

*** Found that the svn version starts searching for 01-ClairDeLaLune.mid in My Music folder so I expanded the .zip into My Music folder.

*** The program still crashes at start up with the above listing.

And PB 0.6.4b works fine with Eclipse for C++.

-- ec0000

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Mark Morgan Lloyd
Louis B. wrote
<q> I tried to zero in on it and got to around r134 but then all
versions started running. </q>

O dear does this mean that the crashing is not always repeatable? ie
some times the same version crashes and some times it runs OK?

I am checking the current version with valgrind but not found any thing so far.
Considering the crash-during-startup: very much so I'm afraid. I'll continue nosing around but at present all versions are running OK, I'm sure that I didn't change any DLLs etc. since I'm only copying the freshly-built .exe from the development system to the laptop. So even though I currently can't duplicate it I agree with ec0000 that there's a problem in there somewhere.

Cheer up- at least it's not a crash-during-termination which is what I'm currently trying to chase on one of our application servers.

-- MarkMLl

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

ec0000
I got gdb to dump out something more useful.

(gdb) r
Starting program: C:\pianobooster\PBSVN\trunk\PianoBooster\src\debug/pianobooster.exe
[New thread 5572.0x145c]
[New thread 5572.0xa74]
[New thread 5572.0x143c]
[New thread 5572.0x1534]
warning: Lowest section in C:\WINNT\system32\xpsp2res.dll is .rsrc at 20001000
[New thread 5572.0x14d4]
[New thread 5572.0x8e8]
[New thread 5572.0x13f0]
[New thread 5572.0x1738]
[New thread 5572.0x1320]
[New thread 5572.0x1698]
warning: QTextBrowser: No document for file://///server1/users/2104Link5/user1/My Music/BoosterMusicBooks1/Booster Music/InfoPages/01-ClairDeLaLune_en.html

0x6a1599a5 in QString::operator== (this=0x6a2ce0c8, other=@0x22f748) at tools\qstring.cpp:2060
2060    tools\qstring.cpp: No such file or directory.
        in tools\qstring.cpp
Current language:  auto; currently c++

And silly me! why did i try to get Eclipse to do the job while Qt Creator is quite capable of running GDB. Here is the output from GDB.

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Mark Morgan Lloyd
I find that there are, potentially, two similar problems here. The first is the one we've been looking at where there is a useful backtrace (Watson or whatever)- well done for getting something useful out of this.

The second is where PB again aborts early on, i.e. before the main window is displayed, with a reproducible dialog(ue) "abnormal program termination". This can be caused if the previous instance of PB didn't terminate cleanly, leaving a hidden program to be removed by Task Manager. Presumably what this means is that it's having trouble opening the MIDI device.

-- MarkMLl

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

Louis B.
Thanks for that that really helped to find out what was going wrong. When I deleted my Piano Booster.ini file it also crashed for me. it is fixed now.

L.

Re: Qt sdk version for Windows?

ec0000
Hi L.

I have tested your change and it is working!

Well done!

Cheers
ec0000

P.S. I also tried out the "-L" option, the duration seems to be working.