Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

joe43
This post was updated on .
Hi Folks, After much time waiting for things to compile, I have a Universal binary for Mac OSX 10.6.
Give it a try at http://joemartel.com/wiki/moin.cgi/HomePage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=pianobooster-0.6.4-mac-osx-universal.dmg
This binary is universal (32/64/PPC), but I believe it is restricted to OSX 10.6 or higher.
I am enjoying practising on PianoBooster - Thanks Louis B!
Joe.

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
Thanks for that, what version of QT did you use? Presumably you saw this thread about the Font Corruption ?

http://n2.nabble.com/Mac-version-Font-Corruption-using-QGLWidget-renderText-tp4164074p4164074.html

Hopefully you have solved the Font Corruption problem. If so can I put that version on the Website

I think Chris/Christian-12 now has an old Mac and he may be willing to test your code.

Louis

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Did you need to make any changes to compile/build on the mac. If so I could check them into svn. Also could you send some screen shots. How is the alignment of the text. Does any of the text need to be moved?

Louis

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

joe43

Hi Louis,

No changes required, just followed instructions in BUILD.txt

qt4-mac-devel @4.6.1_0

I found that it is ok to open a song and play it with 'follow'.
If I try to change the song and then play, the text flickers a lot.
See video on http://joemartel.com/wiki/moin.cgi/PianoBooster for example (might be mac format, can re-encode if needs).

It looks like the screen should be cleared when the song changes, but it is not getting cleared.
Tried to find the code... Got as far as line 177 in Settings.cpp... Haven't yet had time to run in debug... Any suggestions as to where to look appreciated.

Cheers now,
Joe.

On 24 Feb 2010, at 19:21, Louis B. [via Piano Booster] wrote:

Thanks for that, what version of QT did you use? Presumably you saw this thread about the Font Corruption ?

http://n2.nabble.com/Mac-version-Font-Corruption-using-QGLWidget-renderText-tp4164074p4164074.html

Hopefully you have solved the Font Corruption problem. If so can I put that version on the Website

I think Chris/Christian-12 now has an old Mac and he may be willing to test your code.

Louis

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Pianobooster-0-6-4-Universal-Binary-for-OSX-10-6-tp4609494p4627925.html
To unsubscribe from Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6, click here.

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
I have not looked at this in detail yet, but to clear the screen every frame, go to the settings dialogue in PianoBooster and disable the video optimisation. (On a slow net book running Linux not redrawing the whole screen makes a big difference)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM, joe43 [via Piano Booster] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Pianobooster-0-6-4-Universal-Binary-for-OSX-10-6-tp4609494p4629144.html
To start a new topic under Piano Booster Development, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Piano Booster Development, click here.

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
Did disabling the video optimisation within PianoBooster fix this problem?

Looking carefully at your video disabling the video optimisation should fix that issue. if it does work we can disable this on all Mac builds.

This easiest way would be to to set REDRAW_COUNT 2 (currently it is set to 1) in the code.

Also I can see you are not getting the font corruption problem that Christian had with his build.

As soon as this is sorted I will put your build on the website.

Louis

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

joe43
Hi Louis,

Yes disabling the video optimisation fixed the display issue, BUT...

If I Play song, change song, play song....
Then the keyboard input is disabled - I can't play any notes in the second song.

Will try to run this up in debug mode tomorrow.
Any pointers as to where to look for KB input?

Cheers now,
Joe.

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
Any luck with this? This sound VERY strange, I don't have any idea what is causing this.

grep for CMidiDeviceRt::readMidiInput for the MIDI KB input.

are you using svn trunk or 0.6.4 source?

L.
CRP

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

CRP
Hi, just wanted to let you know that I tried the binary posted above and it works perfectly on my mac. No font corruption, no tearing, starting/stopping starting song does not cause any commotion ;)
CRP

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

CRP
and btw, no need to turn off screen optimization

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
The flickering in the video posted by joe depends on the Open GL device driver so it depends on the machine and the graphics chip.

Joe do you still have issues with the PB mac build? Have you tried Setting REDRAW_COUNT 2 (currently it is set to 1) in the code. I would like to post your mac build asap on the website.

L.

CRP

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

CRP
here's my video config:

ATI Radeon HD 4670:

  Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 256 MB
  Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID: 0x9488
  Revision ID: 0x0000
  ROM Revision: 113-B8030C-253
  EFI Driver Version: 01.00.367
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 00:51, Louis B. [via Piano Booster] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The flickering in the video posted by joe depends on the Open GL device driver so it depends on the machine and the graphics chip.

Joe do you still have issues with the PB mac build? Have you tried Setting REDRAW_COUNT 2 (currently it is set to 1) in the code. I would like to post your mac build asap on the website.

L.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Pianobooster-0-6-4-Universal-Binary-for-OSX-10-6-tp4609494p4688323.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6, click here.

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

wanthalf
For me, setting the REDRAW_COUNT to 2 solved the flickering problem.

But there is something strange: I set the REDRAW_COUNT back to 1, rebuilt the application, and now it still runs WITHOUT flickering. (And the video optimisation is still on.)

(BTW, why does the font looks so ugly? :-))

And one more detail: the Mac application build is missing the PB icon...

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

Louis B.
Administrator
great

Can you post a screen shot of the ugly fonts please.

I think I'll now release a mac 0.6.6.beta from the latest version from svn.

I'll up date rtmidi in svn shortly. Are you willing to help?

The new version uzips on first start up the PB music course BoosterMusicBooks.zip

(see in the svn source:         unzip.start("unzip", QStringList() << "-o" << zipFile.filePath() << "-d" << destMusicDir.path() );

does the mac include an unzip command line program as standard?

Louis

Below is a picture of the font corruption problem

Re: Pianobooster 0.6.4 - Universal Binary for OSX 10.6

wanthalf
It is not so bad with the fonts, no corruption at least. I am just a perfectionist: just the letters do not sit all exactly in one line, but some of them are one or two pixels higher and others lower. Something strange either with the rendering or the font... but many people probably won't even notice.

Yes, I can try to help, as much as I can. But I am new to the Mac platform myself - bought a Mac a few weeks ago and are just discovering the specificity of the platform. I have no idea yet how to build universal application packages, aso. I have only been using Linux until now.

There is an "unzip" command in the system and it is not in the MacPorts path, but in /usr/bin, so I suppose it must have been there with the system from beginning.