No midi input

mariourk
I'm trying to get pianobooster working, but it seems to detect no midi input what-so-ever.

First, I connected my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-1100) to the midiports on my soundcard (SB Audigy2 Premium). In the midisetup, I selected the corresponding sources. No effect. The program stops at the first note and keeps waiting for input. No matter what key I press, it does not detect anything.

Then I tried a midi-to-usb cable. Pianobooster seemed to detect the new device, because it showed up in the list of available devices in the midi setup. Still no effect.

Last I tried to connect the keyboard itself directly to the pc, via a USB-cable. The manual insisted that my keyboard can do that. To my surprise it did indeed show up in the list with available midi devices. But still no effect.

I can't help the feeling that I'm missing something obvious here. Why isn't it working? :S

Thanks anyway :)

Re: No midi input

mariourk
I managed to get it working with the direct USB connection.

First I installed the Yamaha USB driver and got things working with windows-XP. So now I was sure there was a signal.

Next I rebooted to Ubuntu. After a quick install of Pianobooster, It worked right away.

Last, I booted into Archlinux (my main OS) and to my surprise it worked!

I had my keyboard on en the USB-cable plugged in, when booting. I'm not sure if that made any difference. Or maybe the driver, I installed under windows, changed some settings on my keyboard. Who knows.

I'm just glad it works now! :)

Re: No midi input

mariourk
The trick is to turn on the keyboard and have it plugged in, before you start pianobooster ;)

Re: No midi input

Louis B.
Administrator
i am glad you have got this working now.

Actually it should be when you click setup/midi setup from the pb menu that it reads all the connected devices. OK just re read your posts, that does not make sense ether as you said you could see all the midi sources any way. But I am glad this works for you now. enjoy using PB.

Louis