Newbie question - Note duration

ec0000
First of all, thanks to Louis for such a great program. PB shows a lot of potential.

My question is how can we tell what is the note duration?

Thank you.

- ec0000

Re: Newbie question - Note duration

Louis B.
Administrator
Sorry there is no note duration yet.

For more info see this post.

http://piano-booster.2625608.n2.nabble.com/Some-thoughts-on-the-scrolling-note-display-tp2106262p2106262.html

Louis

Re: Newbie question - Note duration

ec0000
No need to apologize. You are doing a wonderful job.

Are you planning to add duration in the near future?

If not, can you point me to the source files that need to be modified to add this feature? (Perhaps, I should move the thread to the developer forum.)

Cheers
ec0000

Re: Newbie question - Note duration

Louis B.
Administrator
My original plan was to do a release soonish (although I am spending
less time on this now) that includes the music course i am putting
together. Then to make PB more fun to play by adding gaming features
-- like adding highscore and earning stars that light up as you play
and then to look at adding note durations. But I could swap the gaming
features with the note durations if you are serious about helping.

Warning a proper beautiful musical score is out of the question with
PB as the notes in the horizontal axis are on a fixed time grid and
cannot be space out as in properly typeset music. Then there are note
quantisation, rests, joining notes together with note beams, triplets
etc. I am in two minds about the note duration a) ditch the PB
scrolling score instead display a full musical score that does not
scroll using some other midi to score typesetting program or b) add
rudimentary note duration to  the PB scrolling score. For b) to work
the note stems would be need to smaller and fainter than the note
heads.

Any way let me know what you think about options a) and b) and if you
still want to help with b) the file to look at is draw.cpp and then
search for PB_SYMBOL_note. The notes are drawn rather than bitmaps as
I could not manage to get bitmaps working. As a first step you could
assume that the note duration has been already added to CSymbol.

By the way what synth are you using? the Windows XP synth latency
makes it very difficult to play along.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM, ec0000 [via Piano Booster]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No need to apologize. You are doing a wonderful job.
>
> Are you planning to add duration in the near future?
>
> If not, can you point me to the source files that need to be modified to add
> this feature? (Perhaps, I should move the thread to the developer forum.)
>
> Cheers
> ec0000

Re: Newbie question - Note duration - Soft synth for Windows...

ec0000
Soft Synth for Windows...

I use LMMS (Linux Multi-Media Studio) and Ableton Live Lite.

LMMS supports Windows Direct Sound on Windows.
    * Great software; free
Ableton Live Lite supports ASIO and Direct Sound.
    * This is the big name in computer music. The Lite version comes with M-Audio sound card.

Latency - I found that the problem is partially software and partially hardware.

I spent / wasted a bit of time experimenting with various setups. ASIO4All is often mentioned in websites/forums as a solution. Basically, ASIO4ALL adds ASIO driver to the Windows PC sound card as an emulation layer. It probably works for others. I found that for me it does not perform consistently across different DAWs. Besides, even if the latency is (partially) addressed, the sound quality is not good enough from my laptop.

I end up buying an external soundcard with built-in ASIO driver.

I use M-Audio Pre-Mobile.

Currently, my set up has a latency of between 20ms and 50ms depending on the DAW I use.

Cheers
ec0000

PS. I will move the programming related discussion from this thread to the Developer Forum.