New Upright Piano Owner... Gamifying Learning the Piano

New Upright Piano Owner... Gamifying Learning the Piano

Argon0
PianoBooster looks REALLY interesting, but... we have recently bought a nice upright piano, mainly for my other half to return to her piano playing, but..... I'd love to learn as well, fitting it in around bits and pieces... So I'm looking for a product, on PC, IPad, Android, etc... which can listen to my piano playing while displaying a score or a keyboard, (or ...) and show me where I'm hitting the right notes and when not... This sounds (to me) like PianoBooster with Mic in rather than Midi in.... Does anybody know of something that can do this? Thanks

Re: New Upright Piano Owner... Gamifying Learning the Piano

m.tarenskeen

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Argon0 [via Piano Booster] wrote:

> PianoBooster looks REALLY interesting, but... we have recently bought a nice
> upright piano, mainly for my other half to return to her piano playing,
> but..... I'd love to learn as well, fitting it in around bits and pieces...
> So I'm looking for a product, on PC, IPad, Android, etc... which can listen
> to my piano playing while displaying a score or a keyboard, (or ...) and
> show me where I'm hitting the right notes and when not... This sounds (to
> me) like PianoBooster with Mic in rather than Midi in.... Does anybody know
> of something that can do this? Thanks

You do realize that analyzing MIDI is much much much more difficult for a
computer than ananlyzing audio form a MIC ?

There have been experiments and attempts with audio-to-midi converters in
software development. I don't know what the state-of-the-art is at this
moment, but I think it could only work (sort of) reliably when playing
single notes. Maybe today even simple chords can already be recognized,
but more complex stuff will fail I'm sure.

If you would for example have a Yamaha Disklavier or Silent Piano with
MIDI in+out things would be more simple. Then you can use PianoBooster.

--

MT