NEW USER, INAPROPRIATE USE AND SOME FEATURE REQUESTS

NEW USER, INAPROPRIATE USE AND SOME FEATURE REQUESTS

jayell
I've just started using Piano Booster and so far it's great.  I'd like to congratulate and thank you for a useful bit of software.

First of all I know that I'm using it wrong and also I'm using it for a purpose that it wasn't intended to be used for ( and most likely will never be intended to be used for ) but there are a couple of things that I would like to see added to future versions.

These are mainly in the feedback of the performance – they may already be present but I've not found them yet.

First of all is the ability to scroll back and look at the performance.  I know that there are timing markers and different coloured notes for correct/incorrect notes but I haven't figured out how to scroll back after playing a song to review how I've done and what I've done wrong.

Next would be the way it shows the wrong notes.  I know that they are shown red, but it only turns the note I should have played in red. I think it would be good to see if I constantly misplay one note for another so I can improve my technique.

A replay option would also be nice where Piano Booster replays the song the way I played it so can hear all the bum notes I played (possible with the option of turning on/off the original at the same time).

An option to also change the instrument of the track might be useful so that the original track can easily be distinguished from the performance (for when I get better and have more notes in tune)

When I play a chord the highest note is labelled.  This means that an A5 chord is labelled E or a G5 labelled D so an option to label lowest note instead would be useful.

As I said I'm using Piano Booster for an inappropriate use but I think most if not all these suggestions would be useful for  a lot of users.

My inappropriate use for Piano Booster – I'm using it to practice and learn to play the guitar.

Re: NEW USER, INAPROPRIATE USE AND SOME FEATURE REQUESTS

Louis B.
Administrator
jayell wrote
First of all is the ability to scroll back and look at the performance.  I know that there are timing markers and different coloured notes for correct/incorrect notes but I haven't figured out how to scroll back after playing a song to review how I've done and what I've done wrong.

A replay option would also be nice where Piano Booster replays the song the way I played it so can hear all the bum notes I played (possible with the option of turning on/off the original at the same time).
Yes a replay option has been in my mind for some time along with showing a percentage score at the end of playing a song.

Next would be the way it shows the wrong notes.  I know that they are shown red, but it only turns the note I should have played in red. I think it would be good to see if I constantly misplay one note for another so I can improve my technique.
I think the replay option along with percentage score is probably best.

An option to also change the instrument of the track might be useful
Yes i would find that very useful as well.

When I play a chord the highest note is labelled.  This means that an A5 chord is labelled E or a G5 labelled D so an option to label lowest note instead would be useful.
PB is main purpose it teach that basics for reading music I encourage users to turn this feature off. The reason for not showing more notes names is that they might not fit in the space. I suppose if there was no space they could all stack up on the top.

My inappropriate use for Piano Booster – I'm using it to practice and learn to play the guitar.
Ha Ha my main instrument is the flute and whistle and I sometimes use PB to provide a backing track so that is fine. Actually it is really good to learn to play two different instruments even as a beginner. Transferring playing tunes on one instrument to the other really helps especially if you are play by ear. I presume you are learning also learning to play the piano as well or do you have a midi guitar?

Re: NEW USER, INAPROPRIATE USE AND SOME FEATURE REQUESTS

jayell
Thanks for your quick reply

Louis B. wrote

Next would be the way it shows the wrong notes.  I know that they are shown red, but it only turns the note I should have played in red. I think it would be good to see if I constantly misplay one note for another so I can improve my technique.
I think the replay option along with percentage score is probably best.
Well, I guess a bum note is a bum note.  The replay/percentage was probably the highest on my wish list anyway,

When I play a chord the highest note is labelled.  This means that an A5 chord is labelled E or a G5 labelled D so an option to label lowest note instead would be useful.
PB is main purpose it teach that basics for reading music I encourage users to turn this feature off. The reason for not showing more notes names is that they might not fit in the space. I suppose if there was no space they could all stack up on the top.
I get that, especially as skills progress and you end up on more complicated scores

My inappropriate use for Piano Booster – I'm using it to practice and learn to play the guitar.
Ha Ha my main instrument is the flute and whistle and I sometimes use PB to provide a backing track so that is fine. Actually it is really good to learn to play two different instruments even as a beginner. Transferring playing tunes on one instrument to the other really helps especially if you are play by ear. I presume you are learning also learning to play the piano as well or do you have a midi guitar?
Well, as I haven't been on holiday this year a couple of weeks ago I decided to splash the cash on a reasonable budget guitar and a Fishmans Tripleplay Connect and learn to play an instrument when I'm half way through my first century.

I'm using an online course called Gigajam which uses a similar idea of a midi based software to record and analyse your performance.  The difference is that their Xtractor software doesn't show the score so I have to have the score open in a page scaled down (and therefore harder to read) with the Xtractor software window open over the top of it.

With their software the only controls you have is to keep setting the tempo when learning a new piece - which resets itself. It;'s windows only software and doesn't work properly through WINE.

Piano Booster looks as it it will compliment the use of the Gigajam package letting me practice on PB before completing the exercises on their software and uploading it.   I like the follow on follow me mode of Piano Booster as it lets me practice the the finger positions and speeds up naturally as I progress without having to constantly change the tempo.

Oh, and I did get a cheap Rock Band 3 Fender Mustang styled midi controller which works with both pieces of software - but as it's really a toy and has dodgy build quality (plus it's played differently to a real guitar) I decided that a real guitar would be better.

I also downloaded a midi file of Sweet Child of Mine yesterday and had a run through with PB and it worked well.  Now I need to do the same with Smoke on The Water and Stairway To Heaven and I'll be ready for when the guitar shops reopen :)

Thanks one again
Jason

P.S.  Tried playing be ear - I found using my fingers far more comfortable.