Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
PianoBooster should also work on the Mac, but unfortunately, I don't have a Mac so I cannot compile it or try it out. It should compile without any source code changes  as the only dependencies are QT4 (Open Source edition) and CMake.

I would like some help with the Mac port. If you have a Mac and have compiled C++ programs before then I would be grateful if you down load the source code and see if it compiles and runs OK. Please post your results to this thread.

Thanks

L o u i s

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

foradan
I get compile errors because the OpenGL header files cannot be found.  On MacOS 10.4 they are in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/  (and not in GL/ on the include file search path).

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
Hello,

Did you manage to make it compile and run OK on the Mac?

If you did would you be willing to supply the binary for others to use? I have had a number of requests for executables from Mac users so this would be really helpful.

If you did not not then try changing the include path in the file CMakeLists.txt on line that contains

INCLUDE( ${QT_USE_FILE} )

changing this line to may work

FIND_PACKAGE( OpenGL REQUIRED )

MESSAGE("the GL include directory ${OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR}")

INCLUDE( ${QT_USE_FILE} ${OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR})

your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

If you wish you can contact me directly louisjbarman at googlemail dot com.

Thanks

L o u i s
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
Hi, I tried compiling on a G5 Mac, have installed both cmake and qt4-mac via fink, but cmake ../src stops saying:
CMake Error at /sw/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:1664 (MESSAGE):
  Qt qmake not found!
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:87 (FIND_PACKAGE)

I have qmake on my system:
CPG5:~/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/build cprinoth$ qmake -v
Qmake version: 1.07a (Qt 3.3.8)
Qmake is free software from Trolltech ASA.

I do not know enough about qt4 to solve this, any suggestions?

Thanks
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
sorry for last message, I had a wrong envvar referring to qt3 instead of qt4. cmake is successful, and here is the output of make:
[  2%] Generating ui_GuiKeyboardSetupDialog.h
[  4%] Generating moc_QtWindow.cxx
[  6%] Generating moc_GlView.cxx
[  9%] Generating moc_GuiTopBar.cxx
[ 11%] Generating moc_GuiSidePanel.cxx
[ 13%] Generating moc_GuiMidiSetupDialog.cxx
[ 16%] Generating moc_GuiKeyboardSetupDialog.cxx
[ 18%] Generating qrc_application.cxx
[ 20%] Generating ui_GuiTopBar.h
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/GuiTopBar.ui: An invalid icon property 'windowIcon' was encountered.
[ 23%] Generating ui_GuiSidePanel.h
[ 25%] Generating ui_GuiMidiSetupDialog.h
Scanning dependencies of target pianobooster
[ 27%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/pianobooster.dir/QtMain.o
In file included from /Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:33,
                 from /Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Score.h:34,
                 from /Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/QtWindow.h:33,
                 from /Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/QtMain.cpp:24:
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Draw.h:31:19: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Draw.h:32:20: error: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Draw.h: In static member function ‘static void CDraw::drColour(CColour)’:
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Draw.h:54: error: ‘glColor3f’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h: At global scope:
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:80: error: ‘GLuint’ has not been declared
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:80: error: ‘GLuint’ has not been declared
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:82: error: ‘GLuint’ does not name a type
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:83: error: ‘GLuint’ does not name a type
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:97: error: ‘GLuint’ does not name a type
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h: In constructor ‘CScroll::CSlotDisplayList::CSlotDisplayList()’:
/Users/cprinoth/dl/PianoBooster-src-0.5.1/src/Scroll.h:79: error: class ‘CScroll::CSlotDisplayList’ does not have any field named ‘m_displayListId’
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/pianobooster.dir/QtMain.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/pianobooster.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Please note that I have modified the CMakeList.txt file as suggested in your previous post, which yields following message during cmake:
the GL include directory /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
this should be correct.

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
OK, That was a great help. Thanks.

The error means that it cannot find the file "GL/gl.h" and "GL/glu.h"

Does the file "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/GL/gl.h" exist?

Do you have the file "gl.h" and "glu.h" on your system? if so where is it?

 you could try changing Draw.h lines 32 and 33 as follows (not ideal but it will do for now)

#include </System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/GL/gl.h>
#include </System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/GL/glu.h>

If you you wish you can email me directy on

help with this it may
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
ok, I fixed the opengl problem editing Draw.h like this:

//#include <GL/gl.h>
//#include <GL/glu.h>
#include "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/gl.h"
#include "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers/glu.h"

now it stops because I do not have alsa on my system. I see that alsa is required by rtmidi. Is this the same as the one referred to on the following link?
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/
If yes, then this should also work natively on OSX skipping alsa, but I will have to look deeper into it. If you think this should be doable I will dedicate some time to it.

Cheers
Christian
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
looking at the rtmidi website, it appears that to shift from alsa to coreaudio the compiler has to be called like this:
g++ -Wall -D__MACOSX_CORE__ -o midiprobe midiprobe.cpp RtMidi.cpp -framework CoreMidi -framework CoreAudio -framework CoreFoundation

Can I simply modify the makefile appropriately or are further changes needed?

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
Just so I know, are you willing to supply the resulting binary once we get this working. I have a new release coming up soon so that will also need a binary build for the mac as well.

I am still looking at what to do next and will post again shortly.

But in the mean time perhaps you could download vmpk as I will be look at his CMakeLists.txt to see what to do next as he also use RtMid and it should work on the MAC. let me know your results

Feel free to modify  CMakeLists.txt, line 121 gives the libraries for Linux and windows (there is no case for the mac yet)

IF(UNIX)

    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES (pianobooster asound)

ELSE(UNIX)

    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES (pianobooster Winmm.lib opengl32)

ENDIF(UNIX)

try deleting these lines for the moment in case it this is what is asking for libasound.

L o u i s

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
Ok,

Try this CMakeLists.txt just copy and paste it in.

There is now Open GL library yet but I am working on that one.

#

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.4)

IF(MSVC)

    MESSAGE("GUI system is MSVC")

ENDIF(MSVC)

IF(WIN32)

    MESSAGE("GUI system is WIN32 ${CMAKE_GENERATOR}")

    SET(CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE OFF)

ENDIF(WIN32)

# set project's name

PROJECT( pianobooster )

SET(PB_BASE_SRCS MidiFile.cpp MidiTrack.cpp Song.cpp Conductor.cpp Util.cpp

    Chord.cpp Tempo.cpp rtmidi/RtMidi.cpp)

SET(PB_BASE_HDR MidiFile.h MidiTrack.h Song.h Conductor.h Rating.h Util.h

    MidiDevice.h Chord.h Tempo.h rtmidi/RtMidi.h)

IF(WIN32)

    SET(PB_BASE_SRCS ${PB_BASE_SRCS} MidiDevice.cpp)

    ADD_DEFINITIONS(-Wall -g -D__WINDOWS_MM__ -D_WIN32)

ELSE(WIN32)

    SET(PB_BASE_SRCS ${PB_BASE_SRCS} MidiDevice.cpp)

    #ADD_DEFINITIONS("-Wall -ansi -pedantic")

    ADD_DEFINITIONS(-Wall -g -D__LINUX_ALSASEQ__)

ENDIF(WIN32)

# with SET() command you can change variables or define new ones

# here we define PIANOBOOSTER_SRCS variable that contains a list of all .cpp files

# note that we don't need \ at the end of line

SET( PIANOBOOSTER_SRCS

    QtMain.cpp

    QtWindow.cpp

    GuiTopBar.cpp

    GuiSidePanel.cpp

    GuiMidiSetupDialog.cpp

    GuiKeyboardSetupDialog.cpp

    GlView.cpp

    ${PB_BASE_SRCS}

    StavePosition.cpp

    Score.cpp

    Cfg.cpp

    Piano.cpp

    Draw.cpp

    Scroll.cpp

    Notation.cpp

    TrackList.cpp

    Rating.cpp

)

# another list, this time it includes all header files that should be treated with moc

SET( PIANOBOOSTER_MOC_HDRS

    QtWindow.h

    GlView.h

    GuiTopBar.h

    GuiSidePanel.h

    GuiMidiSetupDialog.h

    GuiKeyboardSetupDialog.h

)

# some .ui files

SET( PIANOBOOSTER_UIS

    ./GuiTopBar.ui

    ./GuiSidePanel.ui

    ./GuiMidiSetupDialog.ui

    ./GuiKeyboardSetupDialog.ui

)

# and finally an resource file

SET( PIANOBOOSTER_RCS

    ./application.qrc

)

# enable warnings

ADD_DEFINITIONS( -Wall)

# by default only QtCore and QtGui modules are enabled

# other modules must be enabled like this:

SET(QT_USE_QTOPENGL TRUE)

# this command finds Qt4 libraries and sets all required variables

# note that it's Qt4, not QT4 or qt4

FIND_PACKAGE( Qt4 REQUIRED )

# add some useful macros and variables

# (QT_USE_FILE is a variable defined by FIND_PACKAGE( Qt4 ) that contains a path to CMake script)

INCLUDE( ${QT_USE_FILE} )

# this command will generate rules that will run rcc on all files from PIANOBOOSTER_RCS

# in result PIANOBOOSTER_RC_SRCS variable will contain paths to files produced by rcc

QT4_ADD_RESOURCES( PIANOBOOSTER_RC_SRCS ${PIANOBOOSTER_RCS} )

# this will run uic on .ui files:

QT4_WRAP_UI( PIANOBOOSTER_UI_HDRS ${PIANOBOOSTER_UIS} )

# and finally this will run moc:

QT4_WRAP_CPP( PIANOBOOSTER_MOC_SRCS ${PIANOBOOSTER_MOC_HDRS} )

# we need this to be able to include headers produced by uic in our code

# (CMAKE_BINARY_DIR holds a path to the build directory, while INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES() works just like INCLUDEPATH from qmake)

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR} ${OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR})

# Add in the link libraries for each operating system

IF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Linux")

    LINK_LIBRARIES (asound)

ENDIF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Linux")

IF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Windows")

    FIND_PACKAGE(WINDRES REQUIRED)

    ADD_DEFINITIONS(-D__WINDOWS_MM__)

    LINK_LIBRARIES(winmm)

ENDIF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Windows")

IF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Darwin")

    ADD_DEFINITIONS(-D__MACOSX_CORE__)

    LINK_LIBRARIES("-framework CoreMidi -framework CoreAudio -framework CoreFoundation")

ENDIF(${CMAKE_SYSTEM} MATCHES "Darwin")

# here we instruct CMake to build "pianobooster" executable from all of the source files

ADD_EXECUTABLE( pianobooster ${PIANOBOOSTER_SRCS} ${PIANOBOOSTER_MOC_SRCS}

    ${PIANOBOOSTER_RC_SRCS}

    ${PIANOBOOSTER_UI_HDRS}

)

SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(pianobooster PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS "-DHAS_SCORE=1 -Wall")

SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(pianobooster PROPERTIES LINK_FLAGS "-mwindows")

# last thing we have to do is to tell CMake what libraries our executable needs,

# luckily FIND_PACKAGE prepared QT_LIBRARIES variable for us:

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( pianobooster ${QT_LIBRARIES} )

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
Ok I could have guessed this one.

Added "-framework OpenGL".

Does this one work?????

Louis

#
[...]

    LINK_LIBRARIES("-framework CoreMidi -framework CoreAudio -framework CoreFoundation -framework OpenGL")

CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
I will gladly provide binaries. The only issue is that I am on a G5, and as of now I have no idea how to cross-compile an Intel or Universal binary.

Your CMakeList.txt from the last message did not work out of the box. I had to modify line 27 from
ADD_DEFINITIONS(-Wall -g -D__LINUX_ALSASEQ__)
ADD_DEFINITIONS(-Wall -g -D__MACOSX_CORE__)

and then it compiles correctly.

There are a few issues, so for example the window opens with the title bar below the system menu, so I can not move it, and also I do not have a midi out device. I will try with timidity, and then let you know how it works out. If anyone wants the binary to try please let me know.

Christian
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
I built and installed FluidSynth but it will take me some time to figure how all this stuff works. By the way, I noticed Quicktime has a built-in synthesizer, do you know if there is any way to use this with PianoBooster?
Upon launching PianoBooster I get:
No Sound Output Device selected; Choose a Midi Output Device
but the relevant drop-down box is empty.

I will let you know once I make some progress.

Chris

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Administrator
Great (please can you ether register or send me your email address address (off line) so I can contact you at a later stage if need be.)

please can you post a screen shot of the menu problem.

Thanks

Louis
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
For now I have given up on using Fluidsynth, I was just not able to get it working on OSX. Instead I found this:
http://notahat.com/simplesynth
It is free and works out of the box with Pianobooster :) not sure about any lags as of now.

I will now test a bit more in depth and give more feedback.

My email address is christian with domain prinoth and tld name
CRP

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

CRP
Played with it a bit right now and everything seems to work very well.

Only issues/suggestions so far:
1) Window title bar is hidden by apple menu bar which means the window can not be moved. Are you somehow initializing the qt window so that it always opens at coordinates 0,0 of the screen? I will send you a screenshot by mail.

2) when modifying play speed, keyboard focus is moved to the textbox, maybe keyboard focus should always stay on game (at least until I get the midi interface to test my piano)

3) colors for right and left hand notes are too similar, please choose a color which highlights better which note goes with which hand

4) how about a full screen mode for the sheet? should be easy if everything is already opengl

5) some indication about note length, but I see this has been discussed already. IMHO, the best would be to have the option between no indication, standard notes and sequencer-like representation where the "circle" gets a tail proportional to length

Otherwise, I have to say this is really a great piece of software, thank you very much for all the work! I will help with the mac binaries as much as possible.

Regards
Christian

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

lestatcheb
Thanks for fine app!
I'm read this  topic and compiled Piano Booster and succesfully run it on Mac OS X with SimpleSynth:)
But if I change skill mode from "Follow ..." to "Listen", then I can't hear the sound of playing notes in midi.
How this may fix?

Thanks!

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

lestatcheb
And is will be very cool if in the end of playing song piano booster tell mark as A/B/C/D :)

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Hi,

I am not sure exactly what you mean by  change skill mode from "Follow ..." to "Listen", then I can't hear the sound of playing notes in midi.

Do you mean the sound of the midi piano part within the midi music file or do you mean the sound of your own playing on the piano?

Anyway there is a new version I am preparing, see the thread below:

http://n2.nabble.com/new-version-0.6.1-Beta1-ready-for-testing.-td2441351.html

This new version has added the ability to "mute your part in the midi file when playing" along.

unchecking this check box may fix your problem.

Please could you test this new version because I want to make sure that it works ok on the mac before I do the release.

By the way do you have a G5 or an Intel?

Thanks

Re: Help compiling for the Mac

Louis B.
Hello Christian,

Window title bar is hidden by apple menu bar which means the window can not be moved. Are you somehow initializing the qt window so that it always opens at coordinates 0,0 of the screen?

there is a config file called "Piano Booster.ini" try changing the pos=
[window]
pos=@Point(0 24)
size=@Size(1014 548)

Does that move the window away from top of the screen?

please can you try the beta from svn. It should now compile without any errors for the mac.

Regarding the binary I think you also need to include the QT4 libraries

please see this post for for more information

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2009-01/msg00006.html
12