Contributing to PianoBooster

Louis B.
Administrator
Franklyn,

I would try and pursue getting the Qt4 development environment to work as it is not very hard to do.

I found it all very easy install Qt SDK: Complete Development Environment. (I said yes when it asked me to install MinGw) then don't use the normal DosBox/CommandLine but instead use DosBox/CommandLine from the QT windows programs menu.

You should be then be able to compile the programs in the QT example dir by typing qmake followed by make.

If you can do that you should be able to compile PB. qmake followed by make or you can compile using cmake follow the instructions in the PB build directory.

I quite often commit code to source forge as way of backing up the latest code. It does not mean there is a release coming any time soon.

There is the user manual (already started) a beginners piano course (already started) the help for the hot keys, producing a pdf file that the users can cut out and put over the piano keys like in this photo in this thread

http://n2.nabble.com/Show-the-piano-keys-and-a-symbol-in-the-right-keys-to-play-td2660711.html#a2660711

I will leave it up to you to decide how you want to contribute but please let me know what you are working on before you start. I don't think I 'll give you write access just yet so you will have to submit a patch for now. are u using windows mostly then try TortoiseSVN.

Please ensure you have subscribed to the this PB dev forum.

L.

Tango (Franklyn) wrote:
> Hi Louis,
>
> Going over your emails to me, I'll try to answer your questions and maybe determine where I can be of help.
>
> 1. I would pleased to assist you in this project since it is a program that has great interest to me and I can also use it as a vehicle from which I can learn C++, midi file manipulation, and event sequencing, notation processing, etc.
>
> 2. While I do not program in c++ (yet), I do have extensive background in mainframe processing using high level languages and extensive experience coding in IBM assembler language in realtime processing applications. So learning pc, event driven programming should not be difficult to me.
>
> 3. I would be happy in assisting in compiling, source control, release issues, documentation, etc. The issue here is I have not worked on a SourceForge project and currently not familiar with the environment and setup but would be willing to learn.
>
> 4. Since I was having difficulties getting QT4 to compile, and not knowing how to properly configure it, I have for now just installed MinGW under Vista.
>
> 3. My current development platforms (3)
>
> Vista (64bit) with MinGw installed
> Vista (32 bit) MS Visual 2005 Prof. Ed.
> Fedora 11 with GCC
>
> 4. I have not yet attempted to compile pianobooster.
>
> 5. My sources for piano music come from translations made by a college professor and a few of his students in Canada. The can provide sheet music translation, mp3, and midi file on request. (Inexpensive)
> www.pianotranslations.com
>
> 6. I have not tried the pieces on your page, Im just learning how to play the piano.
>
> As far as my music studio:
> 1. KAWAI full-keyboard Digital Piano - Fully Midi Capable,
> 2. M-Audio full keyboard portable piano.
> 3. Epiphone Ultra II Les Paul Guitar,
> 4. Washburn Rock Style Guitar,
> 5. Takamine Acoustic / Electric Guitar.
>
> Software: