Accidentals displaying incorrectly

racb
Thanks for writing this. I love it already!

One bug though.

Say for example that in the key of C you have to play C, C#, C in the same measure. In that case, Piano Booster fails to display the third C as natural. I presume that it isn't currently keeping state of the accidentals in the measure, but it does need to do this.

Re: Accidentals displaying incorrectly

Louis B.
Administrator
Yes, that one really ought to be fixed, at the moment it displays the notes "as is" (i.e. always displays the sharp or flat even in the same measure -- Wikipedia calls them Courtesy Accidentals). Courtesy Accidentals are perhaps less confusing for total beginners but not very good for learning music notation.

I'll add that onto my todo list.

Thanks

Louis

Re: Accidentals displaying incorrectly

racb
Thanks.

Please keep in mind that in the example that I gave you, it isn't just that you are using "courtesy accidentals". Without a natural sign in front of the third note, it reads C sharp instead of C natural. In this case, what is written is wrong, rather than there just being a superfluous accidental that isn't required.

I'm not sure that this particular Wikipedia entry is particularly accurate compared to reality.

Can I suggest the following, which I think would cover both beginners and advanced. I think that most normal complications won't arise because you can't get any more details out of a MIDI file anyway and you don't use ties.

1) Keep the state of each note A-G as flat, natural or sharp
2) At the start of every measure, reset this state to match the key signature
3) When a note is displayed, compare the note against this state
4) If the note is different from the state, then update the state accordingly
5) If the state was changed in (4), then display the correct sign (sharp, flat or natural) that matches the new state
6) If the state was not changed in (4) and beginner mode is enabled, then display the correct sign in brackets ("courtesy accidental")

Re: Accidentals displaying incorrectly

Louis B.
Administrator
Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, I must always display the missing natural. I'll fix it as soon as possible. thanks for pointing it out.

I like the concept of beginner mode.

L.
Subj:  Re: Accidentals displaying incorrectly
Date:  Wed 10 Jun 2009 1:28
Size:  1K
To:  "Louis B." <[hidden email]>

[...]

6) If the state was not changed in (4) and beginner mode is enabled, then display the correct sign in brackets ("courtesy accidental")     View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Accidentals-displaying-incorrectly-tp3040650p3052999.html
To start a new topic under Piano Booster Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Piano Booster Users, click here.
    --- message truncated ---